Tuesday, October 7, 2014

The bikers

We heard the knock on our car window.

A motor biker was gesturing us to roll down the window. Another stood couple of feet away, straddling his bike. A quick glance in rear view mirror, confirmed there were two more behind them.

We had pulled over the road, going through Michigan's farmland, to look at the map. Returning  from Pigeon, a very small town in the thumb area in pre GPS age, we had lost  our way.  Both the kids were busy taking stock of their goody bag treasure in the back seat.

" Don't" she whispered.

Thoughts began to travel at the speed of light in my mind also on that lonely road.  A bowl of orange was slowly sinking below west horizon. The farms were getting ready to slide under the cover of darkness.

The men in our view were well built. Pony tail, full beard and mustache; red bandana on fore head and tattoos on their forearms and biceps; they were wearing their colors for "head busters"; chains tied to broad leather belts leading to their pockets. Their finger tips had busted through their gloves. By any account, their looks were mean and immensely intimidating.

"Don't" she whispered again. That caught kids' attention also.
" Don't daddy" I could hear panic in the voice coming from my behind.

They could shatter the glass in pieces anytime they want, I told myself.  Obeying their gesture to roll down the window was the only wise option, I thought. I knew, I did not have any chance with them physically.

As I reached for the handle, she clenched her teeth and said "Don't be stupid".

She folded her hands In fear and began to pray. Me too, to grant me courage and strength to protect my family. I wished this lonely road would get as busy as 75 north at that very instance like it does at quitting time in Detroit.

"Car trouble?" He asked in his husky voice.
" No, No" I said hurriedly even before I finished rolling down the window.
" We just stopped to look at the road map" she jumped in.
" Lost?" he looked at her. Her palms were sweating.
" Not really" she could not hide her nervousness .
" You are...lost and also afraid of us, aren't you ?" Two guys in the back moved up in front of the car when he said that. She shook with terror at the sight of them.
"Yes, we are.. What do you want? We have some money, my jewelry and kids have some toys." Her voice quivered but surprisingly with determined strength.
He looked in the back. The kids moved away from his gaze, terrified.
"Where you heading?" He asked ignoring her.
"Detroit" I could not tell him the name of our home town.
"We are riding south to  46.. 46 west will take you to 75 south to Detroit.
" Which road are we on?" I asked. I really did not know where we were.
"25"
"B..B..but, we took 24 going to Pigeon." She stuttered.
"Ma'm, you left that behind"
"Oh.." She murmured. Her voice spoke of her distrust in his words. She was not sure about taking a road unfamiliar to her.
" Ma'm I know what you are thinking. Just  follow us.. We will put you on 46 west.." Other guy said politely.

She looked at me.
I looked at her
All of the bikers revved up their engines
"Are we following these strangers mom...dad?" Kids whispered from the back.

The shadow of darkness had begun to spread on Michigan's farmland.

No comments:

Post a Comment