Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Cardiac Arrest

On Friday, June 14, 2013, I suffered a cardiac arrest and I was lucky to survive. I share my experience wishing none of you have to use lessons learned from it for you or your loved ones. I am doing well now.
1. The pain started in chest and then gradually spread to my neck, shoulder and jaws. I did not feel pain in either of my arms.
2. My first reaction to this pain was to ignore it, then consider it to be heart burn. I drank two glasses of ENO, Indian version of Alka Seltzer. The relief I felt lasted for very short time.
3. A visit to a bathroom did not help much.
4. I did dress up thinking I might have to go to the hospital but then decided to lie down for a while in the bed instead.
5. Around 9:00 PM I woke up. The pain had reached my jaws and now I knew it was different from what I had ever experienced before.
6. I drove to the hospital about three miles from my apartment.
7. I was taken to the emergency room immediately and instructed to take my shirt off.
8. I passed out right after that and do not remember what happened till I regained consciousness.
9. I Was told later that they had to shock me to revive my heart as it had lost its rythem.
10. I was also told that the outcome would have been different if the episode had happened at home or I was little late reaching the hospital.
Advice I received from the medical staff:
1. If you feel chest pain, do no take chances . Call 911
2. Do not drive yourself. You are endangering life of others besides yours.
3. Keep aspirin easily accessible and take few before help comes.
4. Inform neighbor or friend immediately also
5. Talk to your physician and learn more about heart disease, its symptoms and act accordingly if need arises.

No comments:

Post a Comment