Friday, December 20, 2013

Grandson

"You need two boxes, right?"
A nerdy looking boy, 10 to 12 years of age asked me through his round glasses.
I was in a security checking line untying my shoe laces at the Detroit North Terminal.
He was in front of me and he just had finished helping his mom.

He took out two boxes.
"One for your shoes and jacket and one for your computer."

As I was placing shoes and lap top in the boxes, he picked up my carry on bag and placed it on the roller.
" Oh my, you are such a wonderful young man. Thank you very much."
My belongings were on their way through the x-Ray machine.

I moved towards the scanner as the security officer motioned me to walk in to it.

I had forgotten to take my belt off. So, the officer had to frisk me when I got out of the scanner. When he was doing it, this young man picked my boxes and the carry on off the rollers and carefully place by the chair where I can put my shoes and jacket on.

I was impressed and touched by his gesture and genuine care. I could not resist thanking his mom for his kind action. I asked her his name.

"Ryan, thank you. I will always remember you. Your mom must be very proud of you."

" Uaa.. Uaa.. My Grand Pa. He told me to help people like him, because they hurt them selves bending or lifting bags at the air ports"

Why do we make sports heroes our roll models when we have Grand Pas at home?

No comments:

Post a Comment