Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Scene-1

Scene no 1, New York 1970, Polytechnic Institute of New York, Brooklyn

I was standing near the coffee machine with my quarter, wondering what magic trick dropped the cup in that square box and poured coffee in it.

A young man came, inserted the coins in the machine and asked "Chai" or coffee ! I opted for tea. He pushed the button, pulled out a cup and handed to me.

I showed him the quarter in my palm and he said in Urdu,
" No problem, Keep it, it is a pleasure meeting you".

Then he introduced himself.

" I am Ahemad from Pakistan".

" I am Bharat from India, so nice to meet you. Thanks for "Chai". I responded in Hindi.

Turned out, we both had taken the same courses in our Master's program.

We both were new in the country, in totally different environment. The language and cultural background became a bridge between us. We became friends and helped each other in our class work for two semesters.

What is common amongst us bring us together.

No comments:

Post a Comment